Saturday, July 21, 2012

This season's 1st batch of salsa

It's early yet for salsa. So I was tickled pink the other day, when I was gifted 10 very ripe tomatoes from our community garden. Because it was such a small amount, I googled "small batch canning recipes" and came across the Fiesta Salsa Small Batch recipe at the Ball site.


Because this salsa was intended for fresh eating, (Note: If I had meant for this salsa to be processed and shelf stable, I would have follow the recipe exactly!) I changed the recipe up a bit. I added about 1/2 an onion and a jalapeno. The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon vinegar, but I added about 3 and I cooked the mixture down for way longer than the recipe called for. I wanted a nice thick dipping salsa.


The results are exactly what we have been craving! Nothing beats homemade salsa!


No comments: