Monday, July 23, 2012

Mint

The first time I tired to grow mint was in three indoor pots.  We basically loved those plants to death. We loved the mint so much that we over harvested and killed those poor plants. From that experience, I got it in my head that I couldn't grow mint.

This summer I planted mint in our herb garden, with little hope that it would live. Imagine my surprise when the mint plant not only lived, but started spreading out and taking over! I now have a beautiful, healthy and delicious mint plant growing in our herb garden.

About once a week I have been able to harvest a big bowl full.  There is always a pitcher of mint and water in our fridge, just waiting to refresh the hot, overworked gardeners that live here.   I have also been preserving the mint by freezing it into ice cubes. So we'll have mint water to drink in the winter.



Yesterday I got the crazy idea to make mint jelly.  I'm not sure if it will be good or how we'll use it.


 But it sure looks pretty!


If the timing works out, and I still have mint when the peppers come on, I'd like to make a batch of jalapeno mint jelly as well.

No comments: